Origin of the termEdit
According to en.wiktionary.org-
- From red (meaning communist) and the traditional child's fear of a monster lurking under the bed.
- Noun- Red under the bed (plural reds under the bed).
- (slang) An insidious communist presence; a communist who has infiltrated capitalist society.
It was used as a way of smearing non revolutionary and non-communist left-wingers during the Cold War.
- Cold War
- Threat construction
- Terrorist organisations
- Red Brigades (in Italy)
- Politically Communist and/or Socialist
- House Committee on Un-American Activities
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.