Doomsday 1983 was very dodgy in places due to a mixture of political bias and military ignorance. I found several heavy implausibilities.
Claimed acts of poor storytelling, research and timeline work.Edit
- The Celtic Alliance- The 5 surviving SNP members would set up a pro-Irish regime in the Scottish Highlands and Islands, not join with Ireland. This is because the SNP is, well, Scottish nationalist!
- The CA is acknowledged to be an 'Ierland wank', but was never corrected, improved or sufficiently explained away even at the start. It is held up as an example of excellence despite being discredited as a 'wank article'!
- A Welsh nationalist regime would have probably occurred in North Wales (Conway district, Powys, Denbighshire and Merionethshire.).
- A local regime would probably have occurred in the Shrewsbury\Oswestry\Ludlow region.
- Mongolia would become a Siberian client state, not a Siberian colony.
UK nuking errorsEdit
If DD83's lore and Cold War strategy are right Luton, Dundee and Aberdeen are dead; but if article cannon is right they were not hit.
A suggested compromise= Glasgow and Liverpool were slightly missed all ready. The 200kt Luton nuke missed by 10 miles and hit Barton-le-Clay, while the other 2 100kt nukes exploder 5 miles east out to sea. The 10kt weapons aimed at the harbours and Luton Airport will hit as planned. They will be damaged an irradiated, but not totally ruined.
- Dundee and Aberdeen were not nuked cannon, but deserved it under DD83 lore.
- Luton was hit with a 200kt nuked and was never nuked at the same time, the latter being neither or lore!
- New London (Windsor) is near to Slough and the 100kt that hit it would have devastate Windsor as well. It 'survived', like Luton did.
ASB national activityEdit
- Soviet Siberia is growing too fast.
- It is way too optimistic in Sub-Saran Africa, Poland, Cuba, DPRK and S. Korea.
- It is too pessimistic in the PRC and the former Yugoslavia.
Errors with the PODEdit
- The DPRK, S. Korea, FRG, GDR, Poland and Cuba would be wiped out pile of radioactive slag.
- RAF Bircham Newton was not hit.
- Željava Air Base was not hit until it was filled in circa early 2011 dut to it being nuked localy on the Yugoslav, Bosnian and Croat pages.
- Western Europe was hit too hard, by the nukes. Outside of central Europe the Soviets' plans for Europe were to destroy military and industrial stuff, since they wanted to conquer, enslave and plunder (see the real life in the GDR). The USA was the only nation who went mostly after eastern European civvies in cities. the British, French, China, S. Africa and the Israelis only wanted to do what was necessary to stay alive. Russia, India, Pakistan and N. Korea have no set plan, just a general policy that is probably mostly anti-military.
- Slovakia would be devastated, but not a wiped out pile of radioactive slag.
- San Julián Air Base and San Antonio de los Baños Airfield were not hit, but Havana and San Diego were.
- The American base at Aarbourg would be be targeted, not Copenhagen.
- A sea strike at Inishtrahull would happen off the Donegal coast, since UK subs reguly loytered their.
- The Soviets oddly did not hit RAAF Bace Woomera, Laverton radar station or Jervis Bay's navy base. Somehow 3 major Australian cities were targeted instead: Perth-Fremantle 300 to 400kt, Melbourne 500kt and Sydney 500kt.
- Several parts of Western Europe was hit too hard, by the nukes. Outside of central Europe the Soviets' plans for Europe were to destroy military and industrial stuff, since they reportedly wanted to conquer, enslave and plunder the UK, France and Belgian (see the real life Soviet occupation GDR).
- The USA was reportedly the only nation who went mostly after eastern European civvies in cities. the British, the French, China, S. Africa and the Israelis only wanted to do what was necessary to stay alive. Russia, India, Pakistan and N. Korea have no set plan, just a general policy that is probably mostly anti-military.
Long term planning errorsEdit
With out Western aid most if not all of Sub-Saharan Africa outside of the control of S. Africa soon would collapse in to anarchy, famine and pestilence. The only major crisis in DD1983 Africa is tyrents.
A possible more likely scenarioEdit
The rival variantEdit
1962: The Apocalypse is meant to be implausible and more like a semi-realistic "what if" movie like, but even they realised Cuba and both Koreas were doomed!
- A nuclear\atomic holocaust or nuclear apocalypse
- Seven days to the River Rhine (1979)
- Operation Chrome Dome
- Operation Behemoth
- POMCUS (Prepositioning Of Materiel Configured in Unit Sets) sites
- Mount Yamantau