The American forces had thought of creating a unifyed transport corps during World War II, the Berlin blockade, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War in order to co-ordinate the supply chaine. They all demonstrated the need for the United States to maintain a capable and ready transportation system for national security and maintaining supplies to over seas forces.
The debacle of Exercise Nifty Nugget/Operation Nifty Nugget proved this in 1978.
The United States Transportation Command (USTRANSCOM) was created in 1987 to resolve these issues.
The United States Transportation Command (USTRANSCOM) was created in 1987 and has it's HQ at Scott Air Force Base.
It is one of the 9 unified commands of the United States Department of Defense. The mission of USTRANSCOM is to provide air, land and sea transportation for the Department of Defense, both in times of peace and times of war.
- Air Mobility Command (AMC)
- Military Sealift Command (MSC)
- Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC)
- Joint Operational Support Airlift Center (JOSAC)
- The Joint Enabling Capabilities Command (JECC)
- Joint Planning Support Element (JPSE)
- Joint Communications Support Element (JCSE)
- Joint Public Affairs Support Element (JPASE)
- Exercise Able Archer '83
- Exercise FleetEx '83
- Exercise Nifty Nugget/Operation Nifty Nugget
- Noteworthy Air bases